Friday, September 30, 2011

Singing Stars and Reading Warriors

So in my infinite knowledge as a first year teacher, I decided my students were asking too many extraneous questions.  So to limit these questions, I told my kiddos that if they wanted to ask a question they had to sing it to me.  Big mistake.  I didn't take into account the fact that I have some goobers in my class who would love to do a little sanctioned song and dance during class.  When one of my boys started to go all Broadway on me, I couldn't hold my laughter in anymore.  I ended up having to take a breather because I was laughing so hard.  The rest of the class gave a standing ovation and were ready to move on....I was still laughing.


As an avid reader, one of my goals this year was to inspire students to read.  We are currently reading Suzanne Collins' Gregor the Overlander.  I went out and bought enough copies of the book so that each child could pair up with someone to follow along as I read.  Because it is one of my favorite books, I can read the story aloud complete with character voices (that the kids often request during lessons).  I think this book has officially gotten them hooked on reading.  We (and by that I me "I") read aloud for about 2 hours today as part of their reward for the amazing feedback I got from our substitute.  I planned it out perfectly so we would stop at the big climax of the story right before the bell rang.  When I told them to close their books, my students begged to keep reading so we could finish the story.  I told them the bell was about to ring, and they asked if they could just stay for 30 more minutes to finish the book!  Imagine that....the end of the day on the Friday before a 3-day weekend, and they would rather stay in school for 30 more minutes!  I love my kiddos!

3 comments:

  1. One of my favorite ALL TIME parts of teaching is stopping at a perfect point in a book... and listening to them say, "Nooooooooo." It's a special music only a teacher could understand!

    WOW. Gregor... in fourth. I only have a few sixth graders that could access text of that caliber--even as a read aloud. Lucky you. Lucky them for having you!

    Happy Friday!

    Kim
    http://joyin6th.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Kim - definitely one of my all-time favourite parts of teaching!
    I read Gregor to my class last year - and LOVED it so much I had to go out and buy the whole set!

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello BlogFriend!

    The Versatile Blogger Award and/or the Blog on Fire Award are hereby bestowed upon you and your blog!

    Come to Finding Joy in 6th Grade to pick up your award...

    Kim
    http://joyin6th.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete