Tuesday, October 11, 2011

New Things!

So I went to a staff development today on Blogging in the Classroom, and I learned all sorts of cool new things!  I am super excited to start playing around on here and actually understand bits and pieces of it more. 

What I'm even more excited about, though, is that my class' movie is almost done!  We finished reading Gregor the Overlander on Monday of last week, and decided to keep using it the rest of the week instead of moving to a new book.  We happened to be discussing drama/plays in reading, so my brilliant mind goes straight to "let's make a movie!"  I suggested it to my kiddos and they were all on board.  We brainstormed, wrote a script, had casting calls and auditions, made scenery and costumes, then filmed our teaser trailer on Friday.  The original plan was for me to take my computer with me on my three hour trip to College Station to go see my sister's play.  My parents and I were going to see my older sister's play (she's completing her Master's at Texas A&M) so I would have 3 hours in the backseat on the way there and 3 hours on the way back to edit all the video and audio clips we took to make our movie.  However, said sister also stepped on my laptop this summer, and so it chose not to work on Saturday.  So my kiddos keep asking, "Miss P, is the movie ready?" to which I reply, "Almost."  Then they broke into the prophesy from the book, having memorized the entire thing from how many times we've mentioned it...." An overland warrior, a son of the sun, may bring us back light, he may bring us back none...."  And needless to say, my kiddos will pass their Content-Based Assessment in reading with flying colors when it comes to drama.  They know it all inside and out now! 

If you know someone who wants to donate a bit to my awesome classroom so we can keep doing projects like this, we have a DonorsChoose for the second and third Gregor books that is almost out of time and needs funding!  Pass on the word to help support my Reading Warriors!

1 comment: